Thursday, June 3, 2010

My old home, in the country

My Parents have 12 acres of land that they call home. It is beautiful and so relaxing to go back home and enjoy the country. Growing up we had lots of chickens, a horse, a pony, goat, and ducks that thought they were dogs. There were wild and during the winter there poor feet froze off and they quickly became tame and would follow the dogs around tails wagging to be pet. lol We also had and still have 2 dogs and farm cats.
The picture above and below are of some really neat trees my dad planted when we moved in. I don't know what they are called but I love them because they aren't what you normally see in Iowa.

Dad loves to garden and sells his produce at the weekly farmers market. He uses a old tractor with a 6 foot tiller and a push behind single row planter (I don't know what it is called lol) but besides that does everything by hand!
Another garden. This one alone is bigger than our entire city lot!
Fruit trees,
More fruit trees.
A tiny birds nest in the rose bush.
My favorite barn, we had so much fun playing in this barn as kids! There was a room full of hay for the horses and we would swing from the top and drop into the hay! So much fun!
Another out building, dad has storage in one side and his shop with wood burner in the other side.
The old chicken coop. Used to house tons of chickens, we have had drifts in the winter that came up the the top door. The "upstairs" of this barn is beautiful and I always wanted to make my room up there. lol
Dads green house he made with salvaged windows, it has a wood burner as well and a sliding glass door on the back side.
Dads first green house, but I'm not sure is he still uses it anymore.

3 comments:

  1. I think if you looked in the back room of that barn you'd still find some of our "kitchen" stuff we played with! Remember the "Spices" we found out in the pasture?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, we need to venture back there some time. I think the kitchen set is still up in to top of the barn as well. That was loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The memories we formed there...LOL

    ReplyDelete